Sunday, December 11, 2011

Classic Cocktail Highlights

I've said it before, and will continue to say it... Some of the best cocktails were created over a century ago. Granted, I do enjoy many of the new and fascinating drinks today's mixologists continue to create, however, there is something to be said about going back to basics.

Through classic cocktail recipes we get a taste of how basic ingredients play off of each other and use this knowledge as a base for developing new drinks with the myriad of new liquors we have available now. I think of adding a fruit liqueur like TY KU or lychee to a Mary Pickford, St. Germain bringing a new layer to a Stone Wall, or giving a snap to the Biltmore via Domaine de Canton. Those are just quick, off-the-wall ideas that these drinks spark in me and with further thought, there's even more potential.

I noticed many instances of classic influence in the gin cocktail contest and see it often in many new recipes. The old-time drinks are natural inspirations for us and that's why I think it's important to continue to explore them

Another note with classic cocktails is that they are often simple and depend on the quality of the individual ingredients to showcase their beauty. I think of drinks like the Journalist - essentially a splash of citrus added to a Perfect Martini - and how important it is to choose the right gin, vermouth, and curacao (not to mention fresh lemon juice) to make a truly divine drink . If we were to skimp on any of those ingredients the clean palate would be lost and if that were your only taste of it, it's likely you wouldn't try it again.? We have superior quality spirits available today which can make these drinks even better than they were originally. Take advantage of this.

Last year a reader wrote me about his mission to make every drink on my classic cocktails list within? the year. That's quite a feat as there are currently 166 drinks listed, but I admire the determination and I am now wondering how that worked out. Honestly, I have yet to tap into the plethora of old-time recipes available and it is an ongoing project of my own to explore more to share. That said, I wanted to pull out a few from the list that have been the most enjoyable in my experience so far. These are ones that remain relatively obscure and unknown, but are worthy of acknowledgement.

Explore the classics...

Would you like to receive cocktail tips and recipes every week? Sign up for the free cocktail newsletter and recipe of the week here and get the latest edition sent directly to your email.

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment